Portuguese holiday properties are in high demand, especially in the Summer season so renting out your property in Portugal is a great way to help fund your holiday home, and can be very profitable.
Before you start, there are a few things to consider. The information below relates to holiday rentals only. Different laws, rules and considerations apply if you’re renting out your property long-term.
1. Check with the tax office and an accountant how best to register your 'business' and conform to taxation requirements.
2. Register your property as “Alojamento Local” at your local Camara (city hall). See more information HERE
3. Check out the cost and availability of any external services you will need to use, such as cleaning, laundry, and possibly maintenance or pool cleaning.
4. Carry out some 'market research' on how to price your property for holiday rental, comparing it with similar properties in the same area - visit rental websites or consult a local property rental management agency.
5. Create a diary/calendar so you can plan the guests' check-ins and check-outs. Leave time to clean the property and change all of the linen between guests.
6. Prepare a host’s manual to include all the relevant information about the property. It should include operating instructions for all of the devices, such as the television, washing machine, and air conditioning, as well as Wi-Fi passwords and useful contacts (e.g. emergency numbers).
7. Take good photos of your holiday home, or even better ask a professional photographer to do it for you.
8. Advertise your property with a reputable online holiday home portal.
9. Inspect the property before your guests arrive. Check all legal safety requirements are in place; make sure everything is clean and that all devices/facilities are working.
10. Try to be available to your guests - welcome your guests in person if possible. If not, ensure they have your contact information in case they need you during their stay.
If you don’t have the availability, or the inclination to ensure all of the above is taken care of, you can employ a property management company to deal with everything for you.
Property Specialists Algarve
Telephone +351 912 488 155
Telephone +351 914 237 email@example.com
Praca do Poder Local Lote 7, CV C, Lagos 8600-524, Algarve, Portugal